MAKES 4 SANDWICHES
List of Ingredients:
- 4 Ciabatta-style rolls
- Vegetable oil
- 4 cups shredded beef
- 3/4 cup restaurant-style refried beans, warm
- 4 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- 2/3 cup finely chopped white onion
- 3-4 pickled jalapeños, seeded and cut into strips
- 1 Tbsp. Crema, crème fraiche, or thinned sour cream
- 1/4 cup Green Salsa or Rosa’ Pasilla de Oaxaca Tomatillo Salsa
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Split the rolls open, and reassemble the halves. Brush or rub the outsides (top and bottom) very lightly with oil. Place on a baking sheet and bake until crisp, 6-8 minutes. Meanwhile, pour enough vegetable oil into a large skillet to film the bottom (you may be able to skip the oil if your beef has some fat) and heat over medium heat. Add the beef and toss and stir until sizzling, about 5 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat.Spread the cut sides of the rolls with the refried beans. Pile the beef onto the bottoms of the sandwiches and top with the lettuce, then the onion, jalapeños, and a pinch of salt. Drizzle the crema and salsa(s) over the vegetables, put the tops on the sandwiches, and press down lightly but firmly.
Cut the sandwiches in half from corner to corner.